Wednesday 13 June 2012

Wednesday's Words | The Journey to Natural Hair... Higher Expectations?



Today marks 7 months and 7 days since my last relaxer and journey on transitioning express. Up until recent the journey seemed quite simple, a personal decision being transformed into reality, no big deal just a desire to try a new look after 11 years in relaxed ville, and at the same time an opportunity to convince my little sister that natural hair is cool too. But as with everything in life, things don't seem as clear cut as they were that simple day in November when I made the decision to go... Au Naturel.

As of late I've been feeling an awkward pressure to embrace the so called 'deepness' associated with going natural. The neo-soul stereotype of 'the sister' and her natural hair as a poet recently put it, has of recent become of great discussion and as always traces right back to one theme... Slavery.

My sensitivities to the struggles of black people in past times are continuous. Though my knowledge does not contend with those who have studied themselves approved or have closer relations with this aspect of the past, I am immersed in a school of thought that seeks a different mantra in life that does not allow the past to become the sole dictator of the future. 

My initial desire to blog began with a passion to share healthy haircare practices, and now more than ever strives to do exactly that. I feel greatly fulfilled by my experience with relaxed hair and this new journey to naturalness, and simply encourage loving you hair be it relaxed, texlaxed, or natural. 

I do believe strongly that hair minus chemicals is a big plus with regards to hair health, but fact is natural does not work for everyone. In addition to that there are a gazillion relaxed heads of hair that grow long, healthy and thick hair. Try telling them to BC or transition! 'Girl you crazy?!'

So don't shoot me down for my honesty... It's simply just some thoughts that have been running through my mind. As the journey continues and the transition becomes more real it will be interesting to see how and if my thoughts change. Who knows, when I'm rocking my fro and let's say 'relaxed hair lovin' dude gives me the side eye... I may draw for the fly kick thinking 'this ish cray... I'll let you know!

What are your thoughts... Are expectations higher for naturals?


Avec amour... 
 Fiona


FacebookYoutubeTwitterTumblrPinterest

1 comment:

  1. Going Natural is one of the best things i ever did in my life.
    I will never ever go back to relax, if i wanna smooth look i just flatiron it, rock it for a week and i'm curly again.
    tired of twist out, go to my Senegales braids or conrows or long dip, dye ombre malyasian waeve
    with my natural hair i have zero breaking,zero weak hair and the fact of not dealing with 2 textures @ the same time is a big huge,gigantic blessing
    And that i can walk in the rain and no stress about my hair is al good, the more moister baby !!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey lovelies!

Thank you for popping by & leaving a comment!

x Fi