Tuesday 24 April 2012

Diary of a Tress Lover: Kimberly hits BSL

I decided to revisit the Diary of a Tress Lover series a few weeks back because I realised that there are so many heads of hair that can inspire those of us on or embarking on a Healthy 
Hair Journey, and of course because I wanted to kick the 'black hair can't grow' pessimists to the curb!

Check out Kim's story for your Tuesday dose of Hairspiration!

- Hair type and length -
I have medium/fine type 4 hair that is medium in density, I’m relaxed and my last length check in December had me at BSL. I’m hoping to be Midback length/closing in on Waist Length by the end of this year.
Before trim
After trim

- Haircare regime -

Over the 2+ years that I’ve been on this journey my hair products have changed but what has been consistent for me is I always shampoo, deep condition, add a leave-in treatment and protective style. Every couple of weeks I’ll do a protein treatment and I’ll moisturize and seal as needed.

The products that are currently in my product stash:

Shampoo
GVP Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shampoo or Nexxus Therappe Shampoo
Deep Conditioner
GVP Biolage Conditioning Balm or Nexxus Humectress Conditioners
Protein Treatment
Aphogee 2 minute Keratin Reconstructor
Leave-in
GVP Paul Mitchell The Conditioner, GVP Sebastian Potion 9 or Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer
Moisturizer
Water or Hawaiian Silky 14 n 1 Miracle Worker
Sealant
Vatika Oil
Heat Protectant/Serum(when flat ironing)
Chi Silk Infusion and Proclaim Spray On Glosser.

- Top hair tips/lessons learned -
1.  Protective styling has been instrumental in retaining length. I protective style five to seven days each week. I’m almost always wearing buns.
2. Limiting/eliminating flat iron/blow dryers has helped to minimize split ends and breakage. Before I started my hair journey, I use to leave a trail of broken hairs everywhere I went. Limiting direct heat (and Deep Conditioning) has virtually eliminated breakage for me.   I’ve gone many months without using heat during this hair journey and I honestly believe that why my hair maintained/increased in thickness.

3.  Always Deep Condition: even if I’m in a rush I still apply deep conditioner for at least 5 minutes, although I prefer to keep it in for at least 30 minutes. It’s improved my hair’s flexibility, manageability and overall appeal.

- Biggest challenges faced since being on your HHJ? -
Stretching my relaxers has, by far, been the most difficult part of this hair journey. After 8 weeks post relaxer, limiting breakage at the line of demarcation, keeping my new growth moisturized and styling my hair with inches of new growth can be a struggle to put it mildly.  When I first started I just went along looking a hot furry mess, but I’ve since learned how to better handle and maintain my new growth during my stretch. I can now safely stretch my relaxers between 12 and 16 weeks and these things that have helped stretching be a benefit as opposed to a detriment to my hair journey: (1) Rollersetting - helps to keep the new growth detangled; (2) flat ironing the new growth; (3) moisturizing the new growth they way that you would apply relaxer; (4) being gentle with new growth in between wash days – I treat it like fine china (and I don’t comb through the new growth while dry); and (5) deep conditioning.

- Three hair products you would take if stranded on a desert island -
If I could only use three products and had no heat appliances, I’d take:
GVP Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shampoo
GVP Biolage Conditioning Balm
Aphogee Green Tea Keratin Restructurizer

- How can we keep in touch? -
My name is Kim and you can always find me:
or tweeting @fancyflairlady
Starting length 2008
2009-2010
Kim 2012


Avec amour...
Fiona & Kimberly ❥


2 comments:

Hey lovelies!

Thank you for popping by & leaving a comment!

x Fi